Student Showcase

    Science Department


    The department has a staff of 11 specialist teachers (5 Biology, 3 Chemistry and 3 Physics).  We have 6 teaching laboratories and an additional teaching room.


    The department aims to help students to


    • Develop a sense of curiosity, interest and enjoyment in Science.
    • Appreciate man’s place on this planet and his impact in our environment and beyond.
    • Help produce Technologically aware citizens who appreciate the importance of the role which engineers play.
    • Help students to understand and know about How Science Works in our everyday lives.
    • Recognise and appreciate the usefulness and limitations of Scientific method. 



    Key Stage 3

    We follow the published course 'Smart Science'. Students are encouraged to participate in "Hands on Science", Practical work or mini-investigations.

    They might also be asked to make a presentation to their class.

    During the key stage the should develop an awareness and understanding of How Science Works

    Years 7 and 8:

  • Each student will have access to text books in school
  • As far as possible students carry out practical tasks in groups of two.
  • Students’ progress and subject knowledge is monitored through end of topic tests in     which they are expected to achieve a good mark which is in line with their potential.       Their investigative skills (SC1) are also assessed in an on-going process.
  • Students have 9 fifty minute periods over two weeks.
  • Teaching time is divided equally between Biology, Chemistry and Physics and students will have a specialist teacher for each Science             

    Key Stage 4 

    Currently during Years 9 to 11 students follow the new Edexcel GCSE 2011 examinations.  The new Science GCSE will begin in 2016 so specifications may change in the future. Students have three lessons per fortnight in each of the three subjects in Year 9 and 4 per subject per fortnight in Years 10 and 11. These are all taught by subject specialists. They will all study the Science and Additional Science GCSE 2011 syllabus content with many students having the opportunity to study extension units for three Science GCSE’s. 


    Each exam course has 25% based on controlled assessment which examines student’s practical skills and developing these skills is an important part of the course.  The remaining 75% each of each GCSE is composed of 3 one hour exams in each of Biology, Chemistry and Physics. For students who take triple award there are 3 more one hour exams.

    Following the consultation by the Office of Qualifications and Regulation Ofqual GCSE exams will now to be linear with exams being taken at the end of the course in year 11.  Text books are available to use in school and students will have access to an online interactive book at home.  


    Key Stage 5

    Science A levels are a popular choice in Sixth Form. The current Biology and Chemistry courses are both examined by OCR. The Biology course includes Ecology, Biochemistry, Cells and the chosen option of Mammalian Physiology and Behaviour. The Chemistry course includes topics on Atoms, Bonds and groups and chains, Energy and resources. 

     The Physics course is examined by Edexcel and is a context led course, topics covered included the Physics involved in Archaeology, compact disc players and materials used for human transplant. 

     All courses involve some degree of practical assessment, and the appropriate skills are developed in all three A levels.

    The department also offers and Applied Science A level course. This is comprised of elements from all 3 Science disciplines and has a more practical approach to learning.

    From September 2015 there will be new linear AS and A levels, at present many specifications have not been approved by Ofqual so choices for new specifications still need to be finalised.



    Examination Syllabuses and Textbooks



    Biology A Level

    AS H021

    A2 H421


    Cambridge texts are used with supporting Heinemann materials.

    Chemistry A Level

    AS H034

    A2  H434

    OCR A

    Two OCR textbooks, one for AS and the other for 2 both published by Heinemann

    Physics A Level

    AS 8552

    A2 9552

    Edexcel - Salters

    Two Salters text books one for AS the other A2 both from Heinemann


    GCSE all units are examined by Edexcel and students have access to unit specific textbooks via Moodle. All GCSE Science courses contain 25% controlled assessment plus 3 exams.


    GCSE course


    Exam units



    B1, C1, P1

    Additional Science


    B2, C2, P2

    Further Additional Science


    B3, C3, P3

    Biology (separate subject)


    B1, B2, B3

    Chemistry(separate subject)


    C1, C2, C3

    Physics (separate subject)


    P1, P2, P3